Search

IET Archives Blog

Stories from the Institution of Engineering and Technology

Category

IET History

The Kinora: Pioneer of Edwardian Home Movies

What you see above is a Kinora, a device invented by cinematography pioneers Auguste and Louis Lumière. Patented in France in 1896, the Kinora was a smaller and portable version of the mutoscope, known in the United Kingdom as ‘What-the-butler-saw... Continue Reading →

IEE Staff Social Club Bulletins of the 1950s

The IEE Social Club was formed circa 1938 for the staff at the IEE's Savoy Place in London and it held its first Annual Dinner in December 1938. The President of the IEE Social Club in the 1950s was William... Continue Reading →

The Early Days of the IET in China and Hong Kong 1914 to 1950

The photograph above, taken in August this year, shows the current IET team in its China representative office, located in Beijing. The office which opened in 2005 has since October 2006 been based within the China Merchants Tower, one of... Continue Reading →

A brief history of the Society of Engineers

  The IET Archives has recently acquired an exciting collection of materials from one of its predecessor organisations, the Society of Engineers. Now catalogued and available to researchers, this collection offers an insight into the networks that engineers formed following... Continue Reading →

Commemoration of the Society of Polish Electrical Engineers

The IET Archives holds many commemorative plaques and boards that were on display in Savoy Place at various times, the IET’s home since 1909. One of these items is a wooden board with the logos of both the Institution of... Continue Reading →

The Junior Institution of Engineers – A Predecessor of the IET

The name Junior Institution of Engineers (JIE) came into existence in 1902 and survived until 1971 when its name changed once more. The JIE had started out life as the Vulcanic Society in 1884 and experienced several name changes before... Continue Reading →

Early History of the IEE in the North-East and a Recent Discovery

The first local centre of the Institution of Electrical Engineers in the North-East was the Newcastle Local Section which was formed in 1899. The Teesside Branch was spun out of this Section in 1912 and became the Teesside Sub-Centre in... Continue Reading →

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑